[lit-ideas] Re: Islam, Israel and the Code of the West

  • From: "Simon Ward" <sedward@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 19 Jul 2006 00:31:28 +0100

I feel fine Lawrence. It's a bit warm here, sticky almost, but apart from that,
I feel fine.

However, I'm not convinced that your position, what you mean, is supportable
since it implies that you would support terrorist methods providing you thought
the cause was right.

I also think that you were ready to defend Irgun until it became obvious that
they were terrorists. Now you're convinced that they were terrorists you're
miffed and want to restrict the discussion to militant islam. In itself, that
precludes my first point, but it also suggests that you don't want to consider
it because while you support the cause (an Israeli State) you don't approve of
the methods that attained it (terrorism).

For many, that provides Israel's inherent contradiction; it was a state that
was founded on terrorism but which now abhors it. That's what I think by the
way.

Simon