[lit-ideas] Re: Islam, Israel and the Code of the West

  • From: Omar Kusturica <omarkusto@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 18 Jul 2006 11:31:12 -0700 (PDT)

--- Lawrence Helm <lawrencehelm@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> The IDF is justified in destroying the Hezbollah
> sites that Lebanon allowed
> Hezbollah to set up in violation of the treaty
> Israel had with Lebanon.

*Have you evidence of this ? As far as I know, there
was an agreement that neither side would bomb the
other's civilian structures, and Israel was the first
to breach that agreement.

> Israel does not have to allow an Iranian-financed
> terrorist organization on
> Lebanese soil to launch missiles into Israel.

* By all accounts, Hizbollah is not a terrorist
organization but a guerrilla army. See for example:

http://www.atimes.com/atimes/Middle_East/HG19Ak02.html

Israel needs to recognize that it cannot be the only
country in the region with any credible military
force.

> Hezbollah initiated attacks
> against Israel probably to deflect attention from
> Iran's problem with the
> UN.  The IDF is justified in destroying Hezbollah's
> infrastructure.

*Is that what Israel is doing currently ?

> Since when does a terrorist organization take
> prisoners of war?  They take
> hostages for ransom . . . or beheading.

*You come out as extremely poorly informed here.
Perhaps you could put some more effort into reading
the papers if you wish to comment on political events.
Exchanges of prisoners between Israel and Hizbollah
have taken place before, and these prisoners were
taken with the view to such an exchange. Israel has
refused to negotiate an exchange and decided to use
the occasion as a pre-text to start a full-scale war.

O.K.

http://mail.yahoo.com