[iyonix-support] Re: Iconising files

  • From: Simon Smith <simon_smith@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: iyonix-support@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 24 May 2006 19:58:46 +0100

In message <90b8212c4e.pnyoung@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
          Dr Peter Young <pnyoung@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On 24 May 2006  "David J. Ruck" <druck@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>

> > Try removing all 3rd party applications and modules from your boot sequence
> > and try it on as clean a machine as possible. I suspect that some other
> > program is interfering with the iconisation process.
>
> I'm sure that must be what the problem is, but your sensible
> suggestion seems a lot too much like hard work for me! :-)
>
> With best wishes,
>
> Peter.

A tip for the future:

Assuming you have an Iyonix CD or a backup of the !Boot structure as
originally provided, rename your current !Boot temporarily, then copy
the factory original into its place. Then reboot. That gives a known
clean system setup with minimal effort.

The various Iyonix system updates do muddy the picture slightly - so
the next stage of refinement is to have another !Boot which has
had all the various Iyonix updates - but nothing else - applied.

I have a directory on my system called Factory which contains everything
exactly as supplied from Castle. In practice I've rarely ever needed to dig
anything out of it, but it's nice to have it there. And if I did encounter a
hard-to-reproduce bug I might find it invaluable.

Simon Smith
--
When we went outside, what did we viddy but a silly Devotchka lying in
the gutter. One thing I could never stand is to see a silly Devotchka,