[openbeos] Re: Openness

  • From: "Hugo Santos" <hugosantos@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: openbeos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 14 May 2007 15:59:19 +0100

Hey Ingo,

On 5/14/07, Ingo Weinhold <bonefish@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
You are misinformed in this respect. The distribution guidelines we'll soon
publish (I believe they have not been "leaked" yet) don't affect the rights
granted by the MIT license. They only concern Haiku trademarks use. There's
no intention to change the source code license or restrict it by other
means.

 Like i said in a previous email, i'm not a lawyer. :-) However, it
seems to me that those guidelines, as restrictions, are not compatible
with the MIT license. Under the MIT license i may use all of the code
as it is mostly as i please. However, if you say that the Haiku name
may not be used to endorse my derivative work, this conflicts with the
MIT license as a whole, it is a restriction. The most simple example
is 'About Haiku', which includes the trademarks and is licensed under
MIT.

 Look at the Mozilla Foundation and Firefox, they have similar
restrictions regarding trademark usage which are reflected in the
license.

 Anyway, i might be wrong on this, i'm not sure what kind of legal
advice you guys did get, i'm only reading licenses here. :-)

 Hugo