[openbeos] Re: Openness

  • From: "Jorge G. Mare (a.k.a. Koki)" <koki@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: openbeos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 11 May 2007 14:07:17 -0700

Hi Ingo,

Ingo Weinhold wrote:
The unfortunate situation is that all people on the admin list are developers, who aren't particularly intrigued by non-development tasks and/or don't have much time. For certain things noone feels responsible.

I am glad to see that you are at least cognizant of the accountability issues in some areas of the project.

Actually, I don't think it is unfortunate that the admin group is focused on development issues. That the developers are focused on the code is actually a good thing. :)

I just think that it may be wise to re-position the admin group to what it does best: a decision-making body that deals with development, and to rename it accordingly.

The main problem is actually that we lack a project manager. Someone who keeps track of important issues and ensures that they are addressed, who supervises the decision making process, moderates discussions, and motivates the right people to do the things that need to be done.

I may be mistaken or it may be that I have misplaced expectations, but I thought that overseeing and setting the direction of Haiku was one the (most important) roles of Haiku Inc.

Haiku Inc. holds copyrights and trademarks, and it also has ownership of the funds donated to the project. So even if there was a project manager, given that most of the issues that need to be addressed (trademarks, funding, advocacy, marketing, etc.) would deal with Haiku Inc. in one way or another, Haiku Inc. would be, for all practical purposes, the logical place for such an individual.

Cheers,

Koki