[haiku-development] Re: What's the status of Haiku?

  • From: Sia Lang <silverlanguage@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 26 Aug 2014 01:39:52 +0200

On Tue, Aug 26, 2014 at 12:47 AM, Simon Taylor <simontaylor1@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
wrote:

> Hi Sia,
>
> Please do remind me of a popular and well-received open source desktop OS
> not controlled by a corporation. It must have passed below my radar :)
>
> The non-corporate requirement is a new one! I don’t think many users share
> that criteria, so it doesn’t help your “hole in the market” argument.

The non-corporate qualifier is necessary, otherwise we're left with OSX as
"the solution". It's free, people like it and the kernel is open source.
But it's also tightly controlled by Apple so there's little hope of using
it on non-macs for normal users (and there's a number of things I don't
like about OSX's desktop in daily use.)

> Aiming for world domination but accepting low odds is fine too of course.
> Good luck with it!
>
> Simon

It sure beats aiming for irrelevance.

Sia.