[haiku-development] Re: What's the status of Haiku?

  • From: Ryan Leavengood <leavengood@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 20 Aug 2014 12:02:10 -0400

On Wed, Aug 20, 2014 at 11:26 AM, Sia Lang <silverlanguage@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> The response to my original post was basically that another 1.5-2 years will
> pass before R1, at which point we'll still not have basic things like usb3,
> nor enough drivers for gpu's, wifi, ... whatnot. And by that time, even more
> esoteric hardware will have appeared.

I think everyone involved in Haiku is equally frustrated by the slow
progress. Unfortunately it is hard to fix and is somewhat of a chicken
and egg problem in that we need more developers to get Haiku in a
better state which might attract more developers.

Plus many of the "old-time" Haiku developers now have families and
other commitments which just reduce free time for Haiku to nothing or
very little.

I guess these are just excuses but nonetheless are true.

> I think the sentiment is that it's not a problem for both of these projects
> to exist, although I would personally prefer Haiku to drop its deadend
> kernel- and driver attempt and do things the sensible way (people out there
> want a working BeOS clone, not a fancy-pants-home-made-narcissist kernel)

Maybe this will considered more seriously once you've proven that your
approach is viable and can provide the same BeOS experience as Haiku
currently does. I think there are still some valid open questions
about why it might not work as smoothly.

The good news is we really need someone like yourself with the skill
and desire to try something like this since Haiku itself doesn't
currently have the resources to try it.

It is a lot to ask the Haiku community to abandon our current approach
for what sounds like a prototype.

--
Regards,
Ryan