[haiku-development] Re: What's the status of Haiku?

  • From: Augustin Cavalier <ajcsweb@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 18 Aug 2014 10:41:51 -0400

On Mon, Aug 18, 2014 at 10:30 AM, James Leone <linuxcpa@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> I hope to trade my Star Trek fonts (and a first round true type font to be
> named later) for hard links and a /usr directory so I'll get my dream
> operating system.

You don't have to: you can install your Star Trek fonts already (although
we don't have a GUI to do this quite yet) as well as most TTFs (we use
Freetype to draw fonts IIRC). However, we'll never have a /usr directory,
we have /system instead, which is much the equivalent but is not writeable.

If you must have it though, you probably can either 1. symlink /system to
/usr or 2. symlink /system/non-packaged to /usr (probably #2 as /system is
not writable).

Hardlinks should be feasible  but I'm no filesystem developer so I can't
say for sure.

-Augustin