[haiku-development] Re: What's the status of Haiku?

  • From: Augustin Cavalier <waddlesplash@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 18 Aug 2014 10:38:26 -0400

On Mon, Aug 18, 2014 at 10:23 AM, Sia Lang <silverlanguage@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> I absolutely agree that these guys are fantastic and do impressive work,
> although in a misguided direction in my opinion.

What direction would that be? Have you been reading the commits regularly,
like I have (for at least a year now?) I think that most of the commits go
to either bugfixes or changes so the OS is more compatible with ported
software (we have Qt now for instance).

I do not, however, agree that "minor decision changes" will cut it. Moving
> the considerable efforts to a kit layer on top of Linux or BSD seems like
> the only way to get *done* (with done meaning a healthy development- and
> ecosystem with a maintainable and peer-reviewed kernel).

Adrien's main argument (Linux's lack of unification and need for manual
tuning) stands. I've never had to personally configure the Linux kernel and
I've had great compatibility, but the few times Linux crashed on me it's
been no easy feat to get it unstuck. Anything that uses the Linux or BSD
kernels will be stuck with this. Hence why we're writing our own kernel and
designing it for the users.

> Which in the end is what matters to users.

Yes, that is what matters to users. And we'll get there, but a lack of
funding and lack of developer time does not help at all.. :(

Also, I think you don't get how complex this stuff really is. You won't
achieve a rewrite of the kits on top of Linux any faster than we'll reach
1.0. And we're not *that* far off: as soon as we can get HaikuPorts
stabilized, we should be able to release Alpha5. And from there it's mostly
bugfixes before beta1 and then release candidates. My estimate is 4-6
months for alpha5, 6mo-1year after that for beta1, and then another 4-6
months after that for R1.

If there are any issues that prevent you from using Haiku full time, please
let us know and we'll do what we can to fix them. If you've been able to
get somewhat far with a BeAPI reimplemenation on Linux, you should be able
to help develop Haiku too :)

-Augustin

-Augustin