[haiku-development] Re: What's the status of Haiku?

  • From: Sia Lang <silverlanguage@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 20 Aug 2014 17:26:48 +0200

On Wed, Aug 20, 2014 at 4:59 PM, Ari Haviv <arielbhaviv@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On Wed, Aug 20, 2014 at 8:01 AM, Sia Lang <silverlanguage@xxxxxxxxx>
> wrote:
>
>> On Tue, Aug 19, 2014 at 3:39 PM, Augustin Cavalier <
>> waddlesplash@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>>
>>  [...] And so we won't be totally obsolete.
>>>

>> Fair points, but only if you get something out the door. Being almost
>> ready for a decade doesn't bode well.
>>
>> And considering the amount of off-list mail I've received the last couple
>> of days, I can at least assert that a fair number of people fear the
>> obsolescence of Haiku and do want a viable alternative based on Linux or
>> BSD (hi BeOS fans, you know who you are :)
>>
>> Sia.
>>

> So do it. But remember that making an OS is more than putting out code.
> It's not like making an app and sending it off to Google or Apple. Will you
> be able to organize GSOC's, push for donations, deal with website issues
> and all the other things that Haiku takes care of?

Yes

1) If you have "website issues" you've picked the wrong web side
technology/hosting, 2) I don't need donations, 3) gsoc I wouldn't even
consider, as I've seen too much horrendous code resulting from
inexperienced guys trying to get a buttload of work done in short time.

Turns out people are fed up with Haiku never getting done, so I'm already
getting some people signing up to help even though I didn't ask for it
(yet).

To reiterate: I am deeply in love (and emotionally invested in) BeOS and
would love for Haiku to succeed. But life is too short to observe another
Hurd/ReactOS/SkyOS fiasco.

The response to my original post was basically that another 1.5-2 years
will pass before R1, at which point we'll still not have basic things like
usb3, nor enough drivers for gpu's, wifi, ... whatnot. And by that time,
even more esoteric hardware will have appeared.

I think the sentiment is that it's not a problem for both of these projects
to exist, although I would personally prefer Haiku to drop its deadend
kernel- and driver attempt and do things the sensible way (people out there
want a working BeOS clone, not a fancy-pants-home-made-narcissist kernel)

Sia.