[haiku-development] Re: What's the status of Haiku?

  • From: Sia Lang <silverlanguage@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 18 Aug 2014 21:14:24 +0200

On Mon, Aug 18, 2014 at 8:53 PM, Ryan Leavengood <leavengood@xxxxxxxxx>
wrote:

> Hello Sia,
>
> I think you are being a bit unfair in criticizing the decision for
> Haiku to use it's own kernel all those years ago. Things have changed
> a lot to make your project a lot easier now, both from the Linux side
> and of course from the Haiku side. Plus hindsight is 20/20 and all
> that.

Yeah, it's probably a bit unfair.

> With that said, I think your project is very worthwhile and I urge you
> to continue (which it sounds like you are anyway.)

Thanks!

> I think you have a
> valid point that it is very hard to keep a kernel up-to-date with all
> the modern hardware we have. It makes sense to use Linux or a BSD
> there if you can. At the same time I don't think it hurts for Haiku to
> continue with it's own kernel, but having your project alongside is
> good so we have another option in the future.

I would love for Haiku, with all its great developers, to take a breather,
look at the history and the current state of affairs. Is duplicating
Linux/BSD's high-quality kernel and *driver* effort (esp. for multiple
archs) even possible for a small project? It's not. Not anymore. Not even
close.

And I'm more than happy to help design and implement a Be API for Linux or
BSD in Haiku instead of my own project (which will have a hard time gaining
traction as a fifth BeOS clone attempt), but I'm sensing that too much
emotion and time is invested into the current kernel for that to fly. That
won't stop me from "stealing" as much Haiku user-level code as possible
though :)

Sia.