[haiku-development] Re: What's the status of Haiku?

  • From: Axel Dörfler <axeld@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 22 Aug 2014 17:42:33 +0200

On 22.08.2014 16:50, Sia Lang wrote:
I think Axel's post, given his position and longevity in the project,
neatly explains why Haiku isn't and never will be a released product. I
realize that was not his intention, but it confirmed my fear that Haiku
is driven by idealists who wants to build an OS from *ground up* more
than getting it out in the hands of people.

The only reason one could ever hope for a niche for Haiku is to deliver a product that's actually better than the competition at anything. And believe it or not, that's a very time consuming thing to try. And sure, I'm in for the fun of it; this is an open source project after all without any corporate sponsors.

The angling of lack of C++ in the Linux kernel (who cares, it's just a
kernel [...]

There will definitely be kernel work involved in your plans (if you missed it, I gave a list). I would certainly care about that.

[...], combined with the silly claim that

Now your showing off your communication skills again. I'm not sure if you haven't grasped it yet, but we do care about being polite in discussions. So please take more care about that in the future. You're only ever stating your very own opinion, and you're certainly not better or brighter than anyone else around here. If you want to convince us that you're not a complete idiot, you really have to come to BeGeistert ;-)

many Linux drivers are low quality, removes all hope of this project
going in that direction.

I'm just one of Haiku's developer after all. And if you had ever read linux driver code, and don't understand that there is lots of low quality code in there, I can only assume you don't know how to do it any better yourself.
Oh my god, that removes all hope that you're ever going to succeed.
Do you at least realize that your communication skills leave a lot to desire?

BTW, if you want an example, please have a look at the Intel AGP bus driver to see how complex you can solve simple things to the point that it's very hard to understand what's going on.

I think a review of some of the Haiku drivers
is rather sobering in this respect.

I did not claim we only have high quality code in our repository either.
I was just iterating over some of the reasons why I don't have a high opinion of the Linux kernel overall. Don't get me wrong; it's probably the best open source kernel available, but that doesn't mean it's perfect, or doesn't have issues in areas I do care about.

I completely understand that "fun" is the main motivator, and if "ground
up" is a requirement for the fun part, then so be it. It just means
we'll never see Haiku released, which from a prospect end-user
perspective is rather sad.

You completely disregard how far we've come already; we actually did build it from the ground up. That's certainly an explanation why it took so long to get where we are now, but it's not an excuse to never release Haiku. I'm afraid you'll have to come up with some new arguments for that claim.

Bye,
   Axel.