[haiku-development] Re: What's the status of Haiku?

  • From: Sia Lang <silverlanguage@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 22 Aug 2014 21:08:14 +0200

On Fri, Aug 22, 2014 at 8:51 PM, A. D. Sharpe <demetrioussharpe@xxxxxxxxxxxx
> wrote:

>  You know, I probably have no right to comment on this, but I'm sick of
> people trying to divert the development of other alternative operating
> systems & turn them into "yet another Unix clone", "yet another Linux
> distro", or "yet another vehicle for the Linux kernel". It's disgusting &
> very disrespectful of the specific OSes that're being referenced. BeOS,
> Haiku, AtheOS, Syllable, Pyro, etc. represent a different family of OS.

It wouldn't be a Linux distro or a Unix clone, the same way OSX isn't a
NextSTEP or NetBSD distro or clone. A BeOS clone based on Linux or BSD
would bear no resemblance to Ubuntu or FreeBSD. It would look and feel like
BeOS (with a butt load of drivers so you could actually get your usb3
dingies and hardcore graphics apps going.)

If you read the thread carefully, at least some long-time Haiku project
members (certainly not all) find the Linux/BeAPI option interesting, but
the proof is in the pudding - let's see how it goes before calling it
disgusting.

There's a substantial, but diminishing group of BeOS fans eager to get a
BeOS clone working on their hardware. Not evaluating options to get there
in a reasonable timeframe, now, *that* is disrespectful to BeOS fans.

Sia.