[haiku-development] Re: What's the status of Haiku?

  • From: Simon Taylor <simontaylor1@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 23 Aug 2014 19:29:44 +0200

Hi all,

I’m amazed at the level of courtesy that has been demonstrated to Sia
throughout this discussion, and I thank everyone for that as the thread has
touched on some interesting issues around what is “the point” of Haiku and the
reasons that motivate the various contributors to work on it.

On 22 Aug 2014, at 21:08, Sia Lang <silverlanguage@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> […]
> If you read the thread carefully, at least some long-time Haiku project
> members (certainly not all) find the Linux/BeAPI option interesting, but the
> proof is in the pudding […]

I think that’s a fair summary of many of the views expressed. I’d say most of
the Haiku developers who have responded think it would be an interesting thing
to see running, whether they would want to switch the “official Haiku project”
to it is another discussion that touches again on personal motivations and the
nature of the project overall.

> There's a substantial, but diminishing group of BeOS fans eager to get a BeOS
> clone working on their hardware. Not evaluating options to get there in a
> reasonable timeframe, now, *that* is disrespectful to BeOS fans.

I would love to see some evidence to support that claim. The common-sense
expectation would be that the group of "BeOS fans eager to get a clone working”
will have been diminishing ever since the demise of Be, Inc, as they migrate to
other platforms. That is supported by the number of recreation attempts that
sprung up close to that time, which have all now fallen by the wayside other
than Haiku.

For many people Haiku is now a perfectly usable BeOS clone. Yes it doesn’t
support USB 3 well yet (although one of this year’s GSoC students has brought
that on significantly and has been able to boot off USB 3 mass storage), but
then BeOS was never known for fantastic hardware support even in its heyday.
Haiku works well on VirtualBox, and that for me is more than enough time for me
to boot it up, play with it for a few minutes, remember the “feel” of BeOS that
I enjoyed back in the day, and then remember the lack of the software I needed
to use it for any longer period.

If you think there are a large group of ex-BeOS fans who are just waiting for
the day when they can run their old BeOS R5 apps from their shiny new USB3 HDD,
then I think you are mistaken. I will happily be proved wrong.

Simon