[haiku-development] Re: Moving clock options to Time Preferences

  • From: Ingo Weinhold <ingo_weinhold@xxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 15 Nov 2012 13:08:47 +0100

On 11/15/2012 07:12 AM, John Scipione wrote:
On Wed, Nov 14, 2012 at 4:08 PM, Ingo Weinhold <ingo_weinhold@xxxxxx> wrote:
On 11/14/2012 07:13 PM, Justin Stressman wrote:

My real issue with the 12/24 hour setting being under locale is that
users are going to look under Clock preferences and be lost because
the settings aren't in the obvious place. At that point they either
need to resort to Google to search for a solution, or they need to
have extra knowledge about locale specific formatting options etc...
which most don't have and we shouldn't expect them to have.

The setting could be in the Clock preferences, which would allow two
interpretations: 1. It overrides the locale settings. 2. It sets the
system-wide locale option. Both would need an explanation. I'd rather see a
"Configure system-wide time format" link that takes you to the Locale
settings. That doesn't need any further explanation and may even enlighten
the English speaking user about locale stuff. :-)

I was chastised for adding a Time preferences link in Deskbar
preferences before, so this kind of "linking" solution is discouraged.

I don't recall this occasion nor the reasoning brought up. IMO the linking should be avoided, if there's a better alternative. So far I haven't seen a better alternative, though.

I was thinking something more along the lines of this:

http://24.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_mdikaqttKs1r0f0hfo1_500.png

That is, adding a checkbox that overrides the setting in Locale
instead of duplicating it.

I don't think this is a good solution. I simply can't imagine why one would want to override the system-wide setting just for the Deskbar clock. If you prefer one format over the other you'd want to use it system-wide, no?

CU, Ingo