[haiku-development] Re: Moving clock options to Time Preferences

  • From: Ryan Leavengood <leavengood@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 14 Nov 2012 15:02:00 -0500

On Wed, Nov 14, 2012 at 2:52 PM, Rene Gollent <anevilyak@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Wed, Nov 14, 2012 at 2:47 PM, Axel Dörfler <axeld@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> Just out of curiosity: where would you place it instead?
>
> Personally I'd argue that it would make more sense as an input_server
> add-on since it's a system-wide function that really shouldn't be
> dependent on any particular app running. Currently, if Deskbar locks
> up or crashes due to a bad replicant or whatnot, you effectively lose
> the ability to task switch by keyboard until you restart it.

Yes that is pretty much my thoughts exactly.

Even if the original Deskbar did all this stuff, I think it can be
argued that the BeOS way is to separate things in a reasonable way.
Frankly I think the Deskbar was one of those things that someone at Be
threw together at one point and then it was kept around and never
really refactored. The code is pretty bad IMO. I'm sure John can talk
for hours about it, but when I was looking at some Deskbar bugs the
menuing code in there was just awful and very hard to change without
breaking.

--
Regards,
Ryan