[haiku-development] Re: Moving clock options to Time Preferences

  • From: Axel Dörfler <axeld@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 14 Nov 2012 22:24:41 +0100

On 11/14/2012 09:02 PM, Ryan Leavengood wrote:
On Wed, Nov 14, 2012 at 2:52 PM, Rene Gollent <anevilyak@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On Wed, Nov 14, 2012 at 2:47 PM, Axel Dörfler <axeld@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Just out of curiosity: where would you place it instead?
Personally I'd argue that it would make more sense as an input_server
add-on since it's a system-wide function that really shouldn't be
dependent on any particular app running. Currently, if Deskbar locks
up or crashes due to a bad replicant or whatnot, you effectively lose
the ability to task switch by keyboard until you restart it.
Yes that is pretty much my thoughts exactly.

Even if the original Deskbar did all this stuff, I think it can be
argued that the BeOS way is to separate things in a reasonable way.

I don't think that the input_server is the right place for this functionality. At least not for long.

With multi user capabilities, the input_server will be a real server, ie. running as part of the system, not per user. To have the Twitcher functionality, the application needs to be part of the user's session.

If user specific input_server add-ons are something we want to keep in the future, we would need another indirection in a per user add-on runner. We'll also need a different solution for the Team monitor in the future.

And finally, the key is forwarded to the Deskbar from each application that is receiving it. It's possible to override that behavior for apps like Qemu. How would that be possible in an input_server add-on?

I think putting that functionality into the Deskbar was probably done to save the resources for an extra team. If that is the aim, putting it in the next user application that always runs is not completely off. The best solution IMO would be to either move it into its own application, or invent some new per user server that hosts that kind of functionality (maybe we have more ideas what could be in there).

Bye,
   Axel.