[haiku-development] Re: Moving clock options to Time Preferences

  • From: Axel DÃrfler <axeld@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 12 Nov 2012 20:26:01 +0100

Am 12/11/2012 09:08, schrieb Stephan AÃmus:
Am 10.11.2012 21:28, schrieb Axel DÃrfler:
Am 10/11/2012 17:42, schrieb John Scipione:
 > http://24.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_mda5n8lvTs1r0f0hfo1_500.png
... that's certainly the wrong way. What have Deskbar settings to do in
the Time preferences? Who in the world would look for them there?
Actually, it isn't at all clear that this is a Deskbar setting. The
clock is displayed in the area where other applications and services
install "stuff", commonly known as the tray area. For all the user
knows, the clock in that area could come from some independent "time
service" that is configured via the Time preflet. That the clock happens
to come from Deskbar itself is just an implementation detail. So as you
can see, it is not clear at all where to look for settings to configure
it's appearance.

While it could be argued that "Time" is a good candidate in this light, I am not sure about it, as I think it's much less obvious for a user that the clock is or might be just another tray icon than it is for, say, the volume slider.

If you think Time should be a replicant, I think it would actually make sense to follow Humdinger's suggestion, and give it its own panel (or put all settings in the menu, as it used to be in BeOS R5). Then you could easily have another replicant on the Desktop showing the time without seconds, while the one installed in the Deskbar shows them. The time replicant source (from where you can drag it around, or install it in the Deskbar) could still live in Time, then, though. You could even duplicate the settings there, and use them as defaults (or always use them in the Deskbar replicant).

For obvious reasons, you want to get to some configuration options right
from the clock display. As from the right-click menu. You already need
the option to change the time. Why not have only one option, "Configure
time", and it takes you to the Time preflet, where you can change both
the time, and the appearance in the Deskbar?

The right click menu option is certainly a good idea, and makes it pretty unimportant where exactly the settings are placed. I'm still all for a logical solution, though :-)

Bye,
   Axel.