[haiku-development] Re: Moving clock options to Time Preferences

  • From: Justin Stressman <jstressman@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 14 Nov 2012 13:13:40 -0500

On Mon, Nov 12, 2012 at 1:54 PM, John Scipione <jscipione@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> That's an option, but Time is appropriate and has the added benefit
> that you can also set other time related preferences. All time related
> preferences are consolidated in one place (except the 12/24 setting in
> Locale). The 'Clock settings...' context menu item would simply bring
> up the Clock tab in Time.

I would argue that there should at least be some way to get to the
relevant section of the Locale preferences from the Clock preferences.
The real issue here is that most users aren't going to think or know
to go to the Locale settings to change something like 12/24 hour
preferences. Not having any way to get to those settings from the
first place essentially every user checks seems to be a usability
failure to me. It's not that we have to take it out of Locale even...
but give the user a common sense route to find them from the first
place they look... the Clock preferences.

My real issue with the 12/24 hour setting being under locale is that
users are going to look under Clock preferences and be lost because
the settings aren't in the obvious place. At that point they either
need to resort to Google to search for a solution, or they need to
have extra knowledge about locale specific formatting options etc...
which most don't have and we shouldn't expect them to have.

--
"You don't use science to show you're right,
you use science to become right." --xkcd