[haiku-development] Re: Moving clock options to Time Preferences

  • From: John Scipione <jscipione@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 15 Nov 2012 12:55:01 -0500

On Thu, Nov 15, 2012 at 7:08 AM, Ingo Weinhold <ingo_weinhold@xxxxxx> wrote:
> On 11/15/2012 07:12 AM, John Scipione wrote:
>> I was chastised for adding a Time preferences link in Deskbar
>> preferences before, so this kind of "linking" solution is discouraged.
>
> I don't recall this occasion nor the reasoning brought up. IMO the linking
> should be avoided, if there's a better alternative. So far I haven't seen a
> better alternative, though.

Link to the discussion in question:

//www.freelists.org/post/haiku-commits/haiku-hrev44028-srcappsdeskbar

The specific comment I was referring to (from PulkoMandy) was this:

> Not sure that's a good thing. Next step will be adding a button to reach
> Locale prefs from Time, a button to reach Time from Locale to set the
> timezone, and in the end everything will get linked together. I don't like it
> at all.

> If you want to set the time, the time preflet is easy enough to discover.
> Right clicking the clock also gets you there. Would you really look in deskbar
> preferences to set the time ? I don't think so.

It seems like there can be no consensus and no compromise here. There
is no solution that will make everyone happy. So... I don't know what
to do.