[haiku-development] Re: AboutSystem window credits (was: Testing the poll)

  • From: "Urias McCullough" <umccullough@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 30 Aug 2008 20:00:45 -0700

2008/8/30 André Braga <meianoite@xxxxxxxxx>:
> I'm going to chalk this discussion up to growing pains, and urge
> everyone to *by no means* let go of the thrill, the excitement, the
> wonder, the driving passion, but at the same time realise that Haiku
> is not anyone's pet project anymore -- as a matter of fact it's a
> 501(c)(3) organization. It has outgrown the grip of *everyone* in here
> as individuals BY FAR.

I apologize that I didn't read the whole novel ;) - but I wanted to
clarify something that I believe needs to be clarified here (I think
it's a common misconception).

Haiku, Inc. itself is not necessarily synonymous with "The Haiku
Project"  - I consider it more as a tool to help the project and it
was basically setup as such. Haiku, Inc. exists to represent the
project, as a legal, tax exempt/non-profit corporate entity. This
gives it the power to collect donations that are tax exempt and
tax-deductible for U.S. residents at least, and also retain trademarks
and copyrights on behalf of the project. As such, it also serves as a
central point to manage resources and assets of the project.

As an example, Haiku, Inc. itself has pretty much no control over the
source repository, or these mailing lists, and they are instead
collectively managed by whomever the developers have seen fit to
assign administrative permissions to. I think this works very well at
the moment - perhaps this might change in the future for some reason,
but for now that's how it works.

That doesn't mean Haiku, Inc. is useless of course, and it can grow to
provide even more for the project in the future I think.

Hope that helps clear up any confusion others might have experienced,
and I hope I'm not misstating anything. Perhaps much of this is my own
opinion, and not necessarily the opinion of others involved in the
project, or Haiku, Inc. itself.

- Urias