[haiku-development] Re: AboutSystem window credits (was: Testing the poll)

  • From: "Jonas Sundstrom" <jonas@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 29 Aug 2008 18:53:47 +0200 CEST

"Jorge Mare" <kokitomare@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> 2) Length of the Developers and Contributors lists
>
> These lists are ridiculously long

Most people don´t stay to read the credits after the
movie. Does that mean they should be dropped or cut?
Of course not. These things matter to all the people
involved. So what if its pride or bias.

Of course we want to keep the list! In some form.
It´s part of the culture, open-source and other
forms before it, like the Amiga/Atari demoscenes.

Haiku as a product is primarily code and data.
(binaries, text, images, sounds, documentation)

Its easy to track contributions of these forms
of code and data, regardless of whether it has
been contributed  directly or indirectly, and
its usually developers (of some kind) who make
these kind of contributions and thus end up in
the credits. Such lists usually start from a
copyright point-of-view. This is probably why
also -our- list is primarily enumerating contributors
of copyrightable material.

I agree that it would be good to find a way to
also honor contributors of support, marketing,
community activities, accounting, legal advice,
etc. (I apologize for not coming up with a long
list. I´m sure there are all kinds of contributions
one could list. Recurring donations maybe! ;)

About putting list online. If so, why not try
to make a database of all kinds of contributions,
which can be sliced and diced and presented in all
kinds of ways. Most productive developer (in lines
of code), best liked person (voting), etc. Data
could be extracted from SVN to show which persons
contributed the most code to the current release,
the previous release, etc.

I personally think the credit list was already
reasonably "accurate, concise, and manageable"
and I believe that opening up the list to other
forms of contribution would makes it a lot less
of all three.

But I do realize that, from a point of view of a
wider project-/product definition than one
limited to what-goes-in-the-distro, the credits
list in its current form can be seen as unfair.

/Jonas.