[haiku-development] Re: AboutSystem window credits (was: Testing the poll)

  • From: "Ryan Leavengood" <leavengood@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 30 Aug 2008 12:41:57 -0400

To clarify my position, let me rephrase things:

- I feel there should be a definite difference in AboutSystem between:
   1) developers who have commit access and have been making regular
contributions and
   2) people who have simply submitted a few patches or wrote some
code five years ago and then left.

I personally may barely make the grade for 1, but there is no doubt
that certain developers have spent a lot more time and energy
producing prolific amounts of code for Haiku and they deserve special
mention.

Now I say this strictly in the context of CODE or other copyrighted material.

There is no doubt that quite a few other people have made significant
contributions in other areas and should be credited properly as well.
Jorge of course deserves a big mention, I think diver and scottmc
should be mentioned in the testing area (probably with many others),
and several people have contributed large amounts of money to Haiku
over the years and also deserve mention.

But in its current state the AboutSystem is mostly about developers
and code contributions (for good or for bad, that is mostly what it is
about), and I definitely think it should be changed.

Now how exactly it is to be changed may need further discussion, but
maybe the easiest option is just to change the phrasing of the generic
copyright to what Jorge said:

"The copyright to the Haiku code is property of Haiku Inc. or of the
respective author(s) where expressly noted in the source."

Then below that, something like:

"Many individuals have contributed to the creation of Haiku. For a
full list of developers and other contributors, please click here."

Clicking would then open a local copy of a credits page for that
version of Haiku. Copies of that could also be hosted on the web site
and organized by release.

Also let me say that while I may accidentally come off as implying
that only the developers matter in this project, in reality I have a
lot of respect for all the other contributions made to Haiku,
especially from Jorge. I apologize if it sounds differently at times.
I suspect the other developers feel the same way.

Regards,
Ryan