[haiku-development] Re: AboutSystem window credits (was: Testing the poll)

  • From: Andreas Färber <andreas.faerber@xxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 30 Aug 2008 10:36:45 +0200

Am 30.08.2008 um 03:09 schrieb Jorge Mare:

On Fri, Aug 29, 2008 at 2:51 PM, Stephan Assmus <superstippi@xxxxxx> wrote:
Hi,

"Jorge Mare" <kokitomare@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

* The list of developers has 100+ names. I don't think that's
anybody's idea of concise.

I agree with your other points, but I simply can't understand the problem with the list being long. It's a scroll view, not a scrolling movie credit you have to wait for if you want to behave well in a cinema. :-) I just don't see the benefit of the list being short. That's the one place in Haiku were the credits are shown. Why would you want to thin the list? If your name belongs in the credits, you just want it in there and be proud. If your name does not belong in the credits, why would you want to look at the list but only when it's short? I agree it may be useful to make top contributors stand out, just to be able to know who was most influencial - or who is most likely to blame for an annoying bug... :-)

My observations about the length of the list(s) where in the context
of the limited space that the AboutSystem window provides.
<snip>

GNOME apps often separate the Contributors list (seperate window from About) into three tabs - (main) developers, (occasional) contributors and translators. In such a way, we might separate the list of contributors from the list of software copyrights, for instance.

I'd be okay with an HTML document but please a local one, not an online one. We can't assume Haiku to have Internet access everywhere. It would have the side effect or requiring some browser though, which Haiku does not include by default. Either way we should keep the list revisioned in SVN, not edit it on the Web and make snapshots to SVN. We could then simply link to the HEAD version of it via Trac. If you want to generate all kinds of funky representations out of it, XML+XSLT might be a convenient way.

Some more food for thought: I haven't noticed formal planning of any Release Notes for the Alpha. They would be another place that might include some form of list of contributors.

Andreas