[haiku-development] AboutSystem window credits (was: Testing the poll)

  • From: "Jorge Mare" <kokitomare@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 28 Aug 2008 18:05:37 -0700

Howdy,

On Thu, Aug 28, 2008 at 4:48 PM, Jonas Sundstrom <jonas@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Mat Hounsell <mat_geek@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> How much contribution is enough to qualify for a line in the credits?
>> http://svn.berlios.de/svnroot/repos/haiku/haiku/trunk/src/bin/alert.cpp
>> > http://svn.berlios.de/svnroot/repos/haiku/haiku/trunk/src/bin/roster.cpp
>>
> You should definitely be mentioned in "AboutSystem".

The credits list in the AboutSystem app is very inaccurate and
misleading, and IMHO it needs to be rethinked. There two problems:

1) Team Leads list

By the position in the AboutSystem window and the nature of its name,
the "Team Leads" list gives the strong impression that includes the
names of the most active and/or substantial contributors and that
these contributors are the leaders of the project, respectively. But
in reality, this is just a remnant of a team-based operational
structure that the project tried at the beginning but that has been
dropped many years ago; the list even includes people that have not
submitted code in a long time, or that have even declared to have left
the project, and in contrast is missing at least one very prominent
and active Haiku developers that has been in a position of leadership
for quite some time. I think the best would be to simplify this list
as follows:

2) Length of the Developers and Contributors lists

These lists are ridiculously long (and they can only get longer and
more difficult to manage). People come and go, and there is always the
fear of upsetting someone if names are moved or removed (this is what
stopped us from making changes in past attempts to do so). I think we
need to overcome this fear and in order to make the AboutSystem more
manageable, we should move this lists online.

To that end, I propose the following format/content for the credits list:

*****************
Haiku
  Copyright 2001 - 2008 Haiku, Inc.
  <url>http://haiku-os.org</url>

Project Leaders
  Axel Dorfler
  Ingo Weinhold
  Stephan Assmuss

Project contributors:
  Many people have contributed to the Haiku Project. Check out the
<url>Contributors list</ulr> online.

Special Thanks
  Travis Geiselbrecht (for his <url>NewOS</url> kernel)
  Michael Phipps (for founding the project)

Copyrights
  <list of copyrights>
*****************

This would make the credits information accurate, concise, and
manageable. The list of contributors online could be done in a number
of ways (single or multiple pages, etc.) and edited over time as
needed; that way, we would have the ability to present more accurate
credit information regardless of what Haiku build/version the user is
using.

Hopefully there is the will to fix the credits this time. Not that
this is a requirement for alpha 1, but the longer we wait, the harder
it will become, so we might as well do it sooner rather than later.

All IMHO and FWIW disclaimers apply. :)

Jorge