[haiku-development] Re: AboutSystem window credits (was: Testing the poll)

  • From: "Jonas Sundstrom" <jonas@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 29 Aug 2008 23:55:04 +0200 CEST

"Jorge Mare" <kokitomare@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Fri, Aug 29, 2008 at 10:32 AM, Jonas Sundstrom <jonas@xxxxxxxxxx>
> wrote:
> > I don´t think what Ryan wrote says much about
> > non-developers. They´re like a blind spot, or
> > outside the scope of this.
>
> Why should non-developers be outside of the scope?
> Because we are less in numbers does not mean that
> we contribute less significantly, which is what
> Ryan's and your position implies, and that I think
> is arrogant.

I truly am sorry that we fail to include and honor
all who contribute to Haiku.

I think I have merely tried to explain why I belive
the list looks the way it does now. I don´t think I´ve
argued for keeping it developer-centric.

The way I see it the list´s scope or purpose until now
has been to list contributors to Haiku -the product-,
not including contributors to Haiku -the project-.

I interpret you as suggesting that this be changed
and I think that´s great. We(all) just just need to
figure out how to implement that.

(= What should the list look like from now on and who should go on it?)

> There are developers and developers. Out of the 100+ developers
> listed
> in the AboutSystem window, the ones that have shown endurance,
> stamina
> and loyalty can be counted with one hand. Those I strongly believe
> deserve credit above everyone else, and that's I proposed a separate
> list of "Project Leaders" (please see my original post on this
> thread).

Here we are in agreement, but I think more than only those 3 deserve to
be a notch above the rest of us.

> > Its not undue to honor their commitment.
>
> Grouping devs that have clearly excelled above the rest into a
> blanket
> list with the rest does less honor to their commitment IMO.

I don´t understand what you mean by blanket list.

> > The current list´s committer enumeration tries
> > to approximate this. It fails of course. I, for
> > example, have commit access, but I haven´t shown
> > much of those qualities lately, or ever.
>
> Using the list of commiters as criteria for this and other things
> (like voting and/or wiki edit rights) is flawed unless the list is
> updated over time based on whether the devs are actually active or
> not
> (which it has never been), and biased against non-developers as it
> leaves them out even when they may have contributed more than many
> developers.

Inactive developers probably won´t show up just to vote.
I don´t think a committer who´s gone missing steals a seat
from someone else.

It would be nice to have the project´s steering priviledges
be open to all skilled individuals, but I hope that people
skilled in development will continue to steer and propel
Haiku´s development. Votes on e.g. moving to GCC4 should not
be open to everyone.

/Jonas.