[haiku-development] Re: AboutSystem window credits (was: Testing the poll)

  • From: Alexandre Deckner <alex@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 29 Aug 2008 20:20:53 +0200

Jorge Mare wrote:
On Thu, Aug 28, 2008 at 9:56 PM, Rene Gollent <anevilyak@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On Thu, Aug 28, 2008 at 11:41 PM, Ryan Leavengood <leavengood@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
I think there is a definite difference between a "contributor" and a
developer, so I don't like the idea of putting them on the same list
(though I don't know if you are proposing that.) I think the
developers with commit access who are reasonably active should have
some precedence in these lists.

I am also not sure about moving these lists completely online. There
is a certain amount of pride (and maybe some ego) in seeing your name
on these lists inside Haiku. It isn't that hard to just link to a
separate StyledEdit file or something. Plus I don't know if it is THAT
BAD having that long list inside the AboutSystem. That could be made a
separate popup window if you want to keep the main AboutSystem window
really clean.

+1. Alternatively, what we could also do is something along the lines
of what Be did, which is to say hide the credits as an easter egg so
they don't take up UI space unless actually summoned, so to speak.

I know I am going to get nailed for what I will say now, but I have
to. Please, don't take this as a personal offense or an attack on
developers.
Ok friends, flame ends now please, there's a total misunderstanding.

The original post was:

The credits list in the AboutSystem app is very inaccurate and
misleading, and IMHO it needs to be rethinked.

You're asking for a re-think so please give the concerned people some time to actually think and reply before giving up. There's a problem to solve and everyone more or less agreed with you up to now (or i missed some replies).
Let's just go back to a simple discussion and fix the damn thing.

We could start by writing a draft of the rules, list the roles (those can be
multiple), periods of contribution, and then decide how we represent that info.
Also see if we can automate the system a bit or agree on a refresh period. As
you see, fixing this could end being quite a lot of work, so we'll also need to
find someone to do this.

Best regards,
Alex