[haiku-development] Re: AboutSystem window credits (was: Testing the poll)

  • From: "Jorge Mare" <kokitomare@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 29 Aug 2008 08:17:42 -0700

On Thu, Aug 28, 2008 at 9:56 PM, Rene Gollent <anevilyak@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Thu, Aug 28, 2008 at 11:41 PM, Ryan Leavengood <leavengood@xxxxxxxxx>
> wrote:
>> I think there is a definite difference between a "contributor" and a
>> developer, so I don't like the idea of putting them on the same list
>> (though I don't know if you are proposing that.) I think the
>> developers with commit access who are reasonably active should have
>> some precedence in these lists.
>>
>> I am also not sure about moving these lists completely online. There
>> is a certain amount of pride (and maybe some ego) in seeing your name
>> on these lists inside Haiku. It isn't that hard to just link to a
>> separate StyledEdit file or something. Plus I don't know if it is THAT
>> BAD having that long list inside the AboutSystem. That could be made a
>> separate popup window if you want to keep the main AboutSystem window
>> really clean.
>>
> +1. Alternatively, what we could also do is something along the lines
> of what Be did, which is to say hide the credits as an easter egg so
> they don't take up UI space unless actually summoned, so to speak.

I know I am going to get nailed for what I will say now, but I have
to. Please, don't take this as a personal offense or an attack on
developers.

I really think that the developers themselves may not be the best
people to manage the credit list, as many of them are biased towards
keeping their name in those lists, and their pride and ego thing makes
them lack objectivity. It's a sort of conflict of interest. The credit
list that we have now is flawed as a result of this IMO.

You can say the same about the team lists on the website; with a few
exceptions, teams have not operated as such in many years, but the
pages are still there, totally outdated and far from reflecting the
fact that those teams don't function or even exist. Some people were
quick to have their names added to the team member lists, but then
vanished in thin air; these people have no interest or motivation to
have those pages changed or removed (because their names would be
removed with them).

I understand the pride and ego thing, but I don't think that should be
what drives the way we present information about the project. Unless
you manage information objectively and in the best interest of the
project as a whole, you will always end up with something that
misrepresents the reality. That is, IMHO, at the root of the problem
here.

Cheers,

Jorge