[haiku-development] Re: AboutSystem window credits (was: Testing the poll)

  • From: Ingo Weinhold <ingo_weinhold@xxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 30 Aug 2008 01:06:24 +0200

On 2008-08-29 at 16:39:47 [+0200], Jorge Mare <kokitomare@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Thu, Aug 28, 2008 at 7:46 PM, Ingo Weinhold <ingo_weinhold@xxxxxx> wrote:
> > On 2008-08-29 at 03:05:37 [+0200], Jorge Mare <kokitomare@xxxxxxxxx>
> > wrote:
> >> 2) Length of the Developers and Contributors lists
>
> >> Haiku
> >>   Copyright 2001 - 2008 Haiku, Inc.
> >>   <url>http://haiku-os.org</url>
> >
> > This reminds me, that this is not even accurate. Most code is copyright
> > by the
> > individual authors.
>
> I would have expected the opposite, as the coding guidelines
> recommends using Haiku Inc. copyright holder + a list of authors as
> the preferred format. But if it as you say, the present notice is not
> accurate, then it should be changed accordingly, although it is not
> clear to me what that should be or if the notice is even needed (as I
> suppose all source code files have a copyright notice after all).

The coding guidelines are probably just not up to date in this respect. We
did indeed try to do that quite some time ago, but there's really no point to
it. Besides that this copyright transfer is not even legally possible in some
countries (e.g. Germany) AFAIK. The current practice is that public header
files shall be copyright Haiku Inc. while everything else can be copyright by
the author or by Haiku Inc., whatever is preferred by the author.

[...]
> > I'm generally not opposed to moving the lists online, though there are
> > also
> > alternatives, like linking to a local document, which has the advantages
> > that
> > one doesn't need internet access to read it and that it will reflect the
> > credits belonging to the installed version of Haiku.
>
> You are right: a local file could be an better alternative (for the
> reasons you state). But the question remains of whether it will be
> properly maintained or not.

I guess it should be possible to maintain the list online and have it checked
into the repository automatically.

CU, Ingo