[haiku-development] Re: AboutSystem window credits (was: Testing the poll)

  • From: "Jorge Mare" <kokitomare@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 29 Aug 2008 19:23:35 -0700

On Fri, Aug 29, 2008 at 2:55 PM, Jonas Sundstrom <jonas@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> There are developers and developers. Out of the 100+ developers
>> listed
>> in the AboutSystem window, the ones that have shown endurance,
>> stamina
>> and loyalty can be counted with one hand. Those I strongly believe
>> deserve credit above everyone else, and that's I proposed a separate
>> list of "Project Leaders" (please see my original post on this
>> thread).
>
> Here we are in agreement, but I think more than only those 3 deserve to
> be a notch above the rest of us.

Make it the top five or even ten if you like.

>> > Its not undue to honor their commitment.
>>
>> Grouping devs that have clearly excelled above the rest into a
>> blanket
>> list with the rest does less honor to their commitment IMO.
>
> I don´t understand what you mean by blanket list.

You said, and I quote:

"The credit list is development-centric, and
developers are simply the contributors who
have shown endurance, staminay and loyalty.
Its not undue to honor their commitment."

The Developer list is very long, and to me putting the few outstanding
devs together with the larger pool developers would be like a blanket
generalization that would not do justice to them.

> Inactive developers probably won´t show up just to vote.
> I don´t think a committer who´s gone missing steals a seat
> from someone else.

The vote thing was just to point out the flaw in the criteria in the
context of the alpha 1 release vote, where some people that are
adopting tasks do not have the right to vote and/or edit the wiki.
These people are being left out a priori for the wrong reason (because
they do not have SVN access), and that exposes the flaw in the
criteria.

> It would be nice to have the project´s steering priviledges
> be open to all skilled individuals, but I hope that people
> skilled in development will continue to steer and propel
> Haiku´s development. Votes on e.g. moving to GCC4 should not
> be open to everyone.

Of course not. :) After all, what does someone like me (a non-dev)
know about GCC2 or GCC4? But then, in the same vein, I could ask: what
do devs know about marketing (for example)? So like you, I also hope
that something like marketing can be steered by people from that
specific line of expertise, and that things like release naming are
voted by those people and not open to everyone. However, the fact that
this sort of thing is already being discussed on a development list
and that it may be voted on a dev-only system is not very inspiring.

Cheers,

Jorge