[gmpi] Re: Topic 7.1: Channel Formats

  • From: Mike Berry <mberry@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: gmpi@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 04 Jun 2003 12:43:03 -0600

Very good point, Steve. Thanks for continuing my argument. In our host we do limit to 4 sample segments for parameters, so we have not worried about writing the segment in the SIMD register. But this would work great, and definitely be faster that interleaved operation on channel mappings that do not have a multiple of 4 channels.

Steve Harris wrote:

On Wed, Jun 04, 2003 at 01:09:21PM -0400, RonKuper@xxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

It probably seems like hair-splitting, but I'm pretty sure now that we've
established with our customers that we render gain at a control rate of 1
sample, they might not accept any less going forward.  So for us anyway, and
for any other host or plugin that renders sample by sample, the loss of
interleave would pose a potential problem.

No, because the vector x vector operation is plenty fast enough - memory
bandwidth will kill you long before that does.

You can load the gain segment, run 4 samples of each channel, repeat.
Assuming your gains are the same for all channels. If thier not it makes
no difference wether the data is interleaved or not.

This will probably even give you better cache uasage than the interleaved
case as the prefetch for channel 1 can be happening while you process
channels 2-6.

Mike Berry
Adobe Systems