[gmpi] Re: Topic 7.1: Channel Formats

  • From: Tim Hockin <thockin@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: gmpi@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 2 Jun 2003 15:11:18 -0700 (PDT)

Missed some notes, my bad

> Resending with new notes and annotations
>
> > Topic 7.1:  Audio channel formats/packaging/bundling
> >
> > Q: What are the connections (virtual wires) between plugins?
> >
> > a) 1-or-more named/hinted mono streams with no hard relationships to each
> > other.  Each stream may be connected/disconnected independently.
> >
> > b) 1-or-more named bundles of mono streams with defined, enumerated
> > relationships to each other (their format: mono, stereo, 5.1, etc).  Only
> > entire bundles may be connected/disconnected.

c) 1-or-more named bundles of streams with defined, enumerated formats.  The
format defines (either as flags, multiple fields, whatever) the data type
(int, float, double...), the number of channels (1, 2, 6..), the encoding
(mono, stereo, 5.1...), and the storage (normal, interleaved...).  Each port
of a plugin needs to list, in order of preference (or somehow wieghted), the
formats it can handle.