[gmpi] Re: Topic 7.1: Channel Formats

  • From: Paul Davis <paul@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: gmpi@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 04 Jun 2003 11:24:11 -0400

>But how would that support PWM? The real situation, right now, is that
>everyone uses float PCM, so why have layers of complexity to support other
>things, that no-one (statisticaly speaking) will ever use?
><<<
>
>I wouldn't characterize this "layers of complexity."  It's a relatively
>straightforward struct that describes the audio format, in a fashion that
>allows extra format specific information to be attached to the descriptor if
>need be.

all true. but thats not the end of the complexity. it continues on
into the entire interconnect scheme that a host has to support, and
winds it way into the plugin development process where you have to
decide whether to support a particular encoding.

>I think Chris Grigg has been making argument that people _will_ use
>interesting encodings, notably in mix-to-pics type of production
>environments.

chris is making a good argument that people *use* these encodings. i
don't think he's making a good argument that plugins should use these
encodings. what matters to the users is whether they can get these
encodings in and out of the system. they don't care what happens
inside.

every time we make another encoding available, we create another fork
where plugin developers have to decide whether to support the encoding
or not. that seems like almost as bad a situation as the current
VST/Dx/RTAS/TDM/MAS/AU/... mess. if its OK to stick converters in
everywhere, then why are we even discussing GMPI? just get angus and
others to code up the necessary converters (done in many cases) and
use "native" plugins wrapped by converters everywhere.