[gmpi] Re: Topic 7.1: Channel Formats

  • From: Tim Hockin <thockin@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: gmpi@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 3 Jun 2003 14:19:58 -0700 (PDT)

> On Tue, Jun 03, 2003 at 01:07:14 -0700, Tim Hockin wrote:
> > 1)  Tim's original idea

> This is fine, you have to explicitly put a de-multiplexer to get step a,
> step c will kill anything that cannot be represented in the mutiplexed
> form, c.f. Dolby Pro-Logic.

My thoughts exactly

> > 2)  Bill's idea

> Sure, this is what happens, pro-logic will survive some processings an not
> others, people are familair with this situation.

yep

> > So now, which version of "This is bad" is less bad?

> It depends on the situation, either could be desirable for different
> reasons, just let the user choose wether to put the de-multiplexing plugin
> in there or not.

Wasn't it you you who was just saying that "Worrying about matrix encoded
LCRS streams in stereo is just splitting hairs. People are used to seeing
stuff like that come out of left and right outputs of boxes." ?  Maybe I
misunderstood what you meant.  I took it to mean that you were against
encodings of this sort, but on re-reading it, I guess maybe not.

Nevermind then.  The followon still applies:

Is the goal (pick one)

a) Protect the integrity of the encoded stream?  Plugins must
explicitly support an encoding, or the host should complain about the
connection.  Connecting LtRt to a stereo reverb should be denied, or the
host should ask the user.

b) Enable plugins just to get extra information (if they care)?  Plugins
only know nchannels, and it is up to the user not to do anything dumb.
Connecting LtRt to a stereo reverb is silently accepted.