[gmpi] Re: Topic 7.1: Channel Formats

  • From: Tim Hockin <thockin@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: gmpi@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 3 Jun 2003 13:07:14 -0700 (PDT)

> Worrying about matrix encoded LCRS streams in stereo is just splitting
> hairs. People are used to seeing stuff like that come out of left and
> right outputs of boxes.

I personally agree - but there is a debate about it, and I have posed a
question, to which I am awaiting replies.

For completeness (from a prior email by myself):

1)  Tim's original idea
  a) Decode LtRt into 4 mono channels
  b) Process these 4 channels with normal plugins
     - the problem is that you can do things to these 4 channels that is not
       LtRt safe, right?  This is bad.
  c) Re-encode to LtRt and output
     - because you may have done invalid things, your encoding may not be
       100% accurate (but that is what 'encoding' often implies) but it WILL
       be valid LtRt.

2)  Bill's idea
  a) Load an LtRt 2-channel stream as-is
  b) Process these 2 channels with normal plugins
     - the problem is that you can do things to these 2 channels that is not
       LtRt safe, right?  This is bad.
  c) Output LtRt
     - because you may have done invalid things, your encoding may not be
     valid AT ALL as an LtRt stream.

So now, which version of "This is bad" is less bad?

Is the goal (pick one)
a) protect the integrity of the encoding stream at all costs (explicit
support needed from plugins for encodings)
b) enable plugins just to get extra information (if they care), and not care
about stream integrity (plugins can wantonly corrupt the stream, if you
don't pay attention)