[gmpi] Re: Topic 7.1: Channel Formats

  • From: Steve Harris <S.W.Harris@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: gmpi@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 3 Jun 2003 09:33:39 +0100

On Mon, Jun 02, 2003 at 05:05:34PM -0600, Mike Berry wrote:
>       I have to agree here, and add another point that I am worried about.
>       If you have a wide variety of formats and channel mappings, then hosts
> and
> plugins will be unlikely to support them all. This means that GMPI will
> de facto settle on a few formats because that is what the majority
> support, but this decision will be made ad hoc and without good
> workarounds for those who need to support something that the majority
> has discarded.
>       One of VST's strengths is that there is one audio format and one
>       buffer channel type. (One of its drawbacks is that it did not solve the
> speaker assignment system very well).

Yes, agreed. I think the suggestions to semantically tag buffers to
indicate what thier meant to contain is a good one - and I think its all
thats neccesary.

Worrying about matrix encoded LCRS streams in stereo is just splitting
hairs. People are used to seeing stuff like that come out of left and
right outputs of boxes.