[gmpi] Re: Topic 3: Cross platform

  • From: "Vincent Burel" <vincent.burel@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <gmpi@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 6 Mar 2003 16:33:05 +0100

----- Original Message -----
From: "Laurent de Soras [Ohm Force]" <laurent@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: <gmpi@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Thursday, March 06, 2003 3:57 PM
Subject: [gmpi] Re: Topic 3: Cross platform

> Vincent Burel wrote:
> >
> > WHY USING CDECL ! ?
> > WHAT ARE THE ARGUMENT !?
>
> Please calm down. I feel that I hit you in your deepest
> opinion, please accept my apologies but don't take offence
> by suggestions which wouldn't match exactly your beliefs.

so, just explain me why CDECL.
if everybody here select a possibility by feeling and just by saying "calm
down" or "it's logical" as argument then we really should stop the
discussion and reply to question with a coin : heads or tails !?. it might
be faster. :-)

> Consider that GMPI is not only targetted to Windows. I
> also suggest you to reread the Ron post on the differences
> between stdcall/cdecl. Actually the exact calling convention
> is a point of detail and obviously not one of our important
> objectives here, so I won't argue more on this (for now).

Ha ! if the question is not important , why did you reply ?

You should know that ASIO has been initially defined without calling
convention , even the callback were not prototyped, the result is that 50%
at least of the ASIO drivers or Hosts are bugged. have you an idea of the
global cost of this fucking detail in all the audio industry !? (for the
programmer, for the board manufacturer and for the client ! :-)

it might just mean that we have to fixe the calling convention because this
question is not a small detail in our important objective.

Vincent Burel