[gmpi] Re: Topic 3: Cross platform

  • From: Paul Davis <paul@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: gmpi@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 05 Mar 2003 12:47:42 -0500

>> this provides, then a plugin throwing an exception will likely cause
>> the program to abort.
>
>Even if the exception is caught within the plug..???

it would probably be OK in that case.

>hmm, but libltdl itself contains platform specific code on the individual
>platforms, it's just a standardized interface to a lib. in the end, you
>can't get away from platform specifics SOMEWHERE along the line.

oh sure, its just whether its explicitly present in the plugin/host
(leading to errors by specific developers in its use, lack of
cross-compilability, etc. etc), or easily available in a standard
wrapper.

anyway, this is generally a host-side issue.

>> i can easily imagine completely platform independent code
>> to load, create and initialize the DSP part of a plugin.
>
>OK.. perhaps.. but by sticking with the standard containers we also keep
>support for the standard compile tools. Using something new would probably
>mean writing new linkers... etc... far too much work imho.

i wouldn't ever propose anything new! :) i just meant wrapping
existing methods for various OS's in something simple and standard.

>I'm inclined to think that creating a standard API for GMPI that goes
>beyond plug<->host communications is a bit of a risky step in terms of
>design.. however if others think it's justified I could find it
>acceptable.

host->get_current_time ();
host->get_current_cpu_configuration (&conf);
host->get_plugin_location (self);

its just semantics :)

--p