[gmpi] Re: Topic 3: Cross platform

  • From: Matthew Xavier Mora <mxmora@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: gmpi@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 5 Mar 2003 10:06:25 -0800

At 12:51 PM -0500 3/5/03, Bill Gardner wrote:

i'm thinking of things like (as you mentioned): file i/o, mutual
exclusion (lock-based and lock-free), access to & initialization of
DSP resources, discovering associated plugin resources
(cf. discussions on vst-plugins about determining the folder the
plugin was found in), getting current time of day, getting current CPU
configuration, getting CPU features, getting CPU utilization figures
(perhaps) ...

these are all things plugins may want to do, and we'd like them to do
it in a platform-independent way.

I agree that a lot of commonly used OS functions can be exported by the host via the plug-in API, and that this should be done in an effort to make the plug-ins operate consistently across platforms. But I don't see any reason for this set of functions to be determined on the basis that the plug-in source code be truly cross-platform, without requiring any platform-dependent code. I have no expectation that the plug-in implementation will be platform independent, even on the filter side. I just want the API to be platform independent.

Bill

Maybe now that Mac OS is POSIX compliant that using POSIX calls could help with cross platform issues? I'm not a POSIX head or anything but it would be nice to use some of the POSIX support in all these OSes to our advantage.

Matt