[gmpi] Re: Topic 3: Cross platform

  • From: "Silver Blade" <silverblade_uk@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <gmpi@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 5 Mar 2003 15:20:42 -0000

> 1. What processors (or processor architectures) are to be supported?
>
> Whatever processors are supported by O/S's we choose to support in (2).

Agreed.

> 2. What operating systems are to be supported?
>
> In general, all popular contemporary O/S, leaning towards more recent
> versions: Windows 2000, Windows XP, Mac OS-X, Linux, other Unix variants,
> Pocket PC, Palm O/S

I think Windows 98 and M.E. should also be added to the list, since many
people claim that the 9x breed of Windows is far better for games and
multimedia than 2000/XP. Windows 95 is far too old, and even Microsoft no
longer offer support for it. But 9x/2000/XP all mostly have the same APIs,
so it should be possible for GMPI to work on 98/ME as well as 2000/XP.

Also, for palmtops, Windows CE?

> 4. What programming languages are to be supported?
>
> Standard C (which supports C++ by extension), with very clearly specified
> calling conventions (cdecl vs. stdcall).

I'd be interested in also seeing Delphi supported, if that's not too
difficult (which it probably is!)

If every function is implemented using C, then they can be wrapped by some
C++ classes.

> 5. Level of heterogenity on microcontroller+DSP based systems.
>
> I don't know what this means.<g>  I was on the agenda list, but I can't
> recally why.  Possibly not applicable?

Maybe somebody could explain what this means? It confused me too!

-SB