[gmpi] Re: Topic 3: Cross platform

  • From: Steve Lhomme <steve.lhomme@xxxxxxx>
  • To: gmpi@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 05 Mar 2003 16:54:11 +0100 (CET)

En réponse à RonKuper@xxxxxxxxxxxx:

> This topic addresses cross-platform issues for the GMPI plugin
> interface,
> the API boundary between the host and plugin, the "header file" if you
> will.

An easy answer would be : as cross-platform as possible !

> Here is my take at the questions and answers:
>

> 1. What processors (or processor architectures) are to be supported?
>
> Whatever processors are supported by O/S's we choose to support in
> (2).

Sure.

> 2. What operating systems are to be supported?
>
> In general, all popular contemporary O/S, leaning towards more recent
> versions: Windows 2000, Windows XP, Mac OS-X, Linux, other Unix
> variants, Pocket PC, Palm O/S

You forgot one of the best multimedia platform : BeOS. It's still not dead. And
when it will be fully rewritten (OpenBeOS) it should have a great second life.

> 3. What kinds of addressing models are to be supported?
>
> Determined by the processor architecture, right?

You mean how to pass the buffers ?

> 4. What programming languages are to be supported?
>
> Standard C (which supports C++ by extension), with very clearly
> specified calling conventions (cdecl vs. stdcall).

I think the cross-platform C calling convention is determined by the OS.
Do you plan to export :
- 1 function dealing with lots of messages ?
- many functions dealing with one particular thing ?

For sure, C is the most portable language. I feel a bit sad noone is ever
stepping into the object oriented world of programming. That would allow
building standard classes that everybody could use, and concentrate on the
"real
work".

> 5. Level of heterogenity on microcontroller+DSP based systems.
>
> I don't know what this means.<g>  I was on the agenda list, but I
> can't recally why.  Possibly not applicable?

Maybe to have an Hardware Accelerated Layer ?