[gmpi] Re: Topic 3: Cross platform

  • From: Steve Harris <S.W.Harris@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: gmpi@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 5 Mar 2003 18:16:15 +0000

On Wed, Mar 05, 2003 at 12:36:44 -0500, RonKuper@xxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
> > > Floating point is not a requirement, correct?
> > No, but I think it should be.
>
> I'd like to see a design where the data format at the interface boundary was
> float, but the plugin could process in whatever format it wanted internally.
> Also, to allow DSP accelerated plugins to avoid expensive conversion to/from
> float between 2 DSP plugins in a chain, we should consider a design where a
> plugin can know if one of its bretheren is feeding it data.

It would be nive if this could be done without messing up the API, but I
can see the problem and the complexity of the solution.

If the plugin can tell its connected to one of its brethren then it can
really do the data passing internally (on the DSP chip). This doesn't need
to be made explicit in the API, I think.