[gmpi] Re: Topic 3: Cross platform

  • From: "Angus F. Hewlett" <amulet@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: gmpi@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 5 Mar 2003 13:36:47 -0500 (EST)

On Wed, 5 Mar 2003, Paul Davis wrote:

> if people choose to write plugins with specific
> Altivec/PowerCore/UAD/56K code, that's an entirely different story to
> me than including OS-specific calls that really have nothing to do
> with DSP at all.

IMHO you're taking a simplistic view of what constitutes a plug's DSP
engine at this point. I accept that they may not be ideal from a purist
point of view, but many of today's more complex plugs are doing
platform specific things in the DSP engines... platform-dependent wave
concentrate on defining the plugin<->host interface for now. BTW, I'm not
defending these design decisions (including my own), just saying they're
done today for pragmatic reasons.

> GMPI didn't force you to do that, but allowed you to. what i
> want to avoid is a situation where developers have to make OS-specific
> calls to get things done, thus being forced to write non-cross-OS code
> by a weakness in GMPI.

OK, but many of those functions -can- be implemented by other
crossplatform code (libsndfile...), but I don't think we should force
incorporation of that in to GMPI.

Regards,
        Angus.