[gmpi] Re: Topic 3: Cross platform

  • From: Paul Davis <paul@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: gmpi@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 05 Mar 2003 13:40:22 -0500

>> Well, if it really takes 2 years to finalize this API, then at that point
>> Windows 98 and ME will be damn old.  Not supporting them sounds fine to
>> me, but admittedly I am also not a user of any Windows versions so I might
>> be failing to see the viewpoint of actual Windows users...
>
>Well IIRC, ME was released after Windows 2000. But that's irrelevant.

personally, i don't see where support for an OS really fits into GMPI
at all.

the API should allow hosts to present a "callback suite" (to
paraphrase mike berry) that encapsulate any functionality that might
have to originate in the OS.

plugins don't need to know anything about the OS they are on.

hosts do, but not in order to support a GMPI plugin. we just need to
provide platform-independent wrapping of DLL-load-and-instantiate
functions.

compiler support seems like more of an issue than OS support. this
"cdecl" and "stdcall" thing, for example - its not an issue AFAIK with
gcc under wintel. how to write inline assembler, what to name exported
functions and how to export them - this sort of thing seems much more
central and also a bit more difficult.