[gmpi] Re: Topic 3: Cross platform

  • From: "Angus F. Hewlett" <amulet@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: gmpi@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 5 Mar 2003 11:08:57 -0500 (EST)

On Wed, 5 Mar 2003, Steve Lhomme wrote:

> I think the cross-platform C calling convention is determined by the OS.
> Do you plan to export :
> - 1 function dealing with lots of messages ?
> - many functions dealing with one particular thing ?

Or something more elegant along the lines of standard cross-language and
cross-platform object models? But is it really the right time to open that
can of worms..?

For example, DirectX's COM approach is very nice in some ways, and while I
realise COM is not crossplatform and has its problems, the
modular-interface / QueryInterface approach is great.

> For sure, C is the most portable language. I feel a bit sad noone is ever
> stepping into the object oriented world of programming.

But there's no real direct object interoperation standard that fulfils:-
backwards compatibility with older languages
full interoperability
high enough performance / low enough overheads for realtime audio work

Standardising the _interface_ at C level ensures maximum compatibility,
whilst not ruling out object-oriented SDKs on those language platforms
that support it.

Regards,
        Angus.