[gmpi] Re: Topic 3: Cross platform

  • From: "Angus F. Hewlett" <amulet@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: gmpi@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 5 Mar 2003 13:52:08 -0500 (EST)

On Wed, 5 Mar 2003 RonKuper@xxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

> The O/S helps shape the scope.  Do we need to support every CPU out there,
> or just the "popular" ones?  What makes a CPU popular?  One metric is the
> installed base of O/S's that support it.

In any case, for this argument "Win9x support" is kinda irrelevant as
we're almost certain to get it for free with the Win2K/XP support...

> I think our best bet is to identify the OS bits that we need to control
> carefully, such as memory allocation, thread synchronization, and (maybe)
> disk IO.

Question:- isn't trying to provide this (especially memory allocation) via
the host likely to prevent us from supporting many popular languages? or
do all languages provide a hook for custom memory allocation somewhere
along the line?

I mean, I'm all in favour of the host providing allocation for all audio
buffers, but when you start talking about objects internal to the
plugin...