[gmpi] Re: Topic 2: Plugin flavors

  • From: Paul Davis <paul@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: gmpi@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 06 Mar 2003 10:48:33 -0500

>Is there a possibility for 2 different GMPI host to communicate through a GMPI
>plugin (probably the same instance of the plugin) ? A bit like what Rewire doe
>s ?
>
>That would be like :
>
>+------------------------------------------------------------+
>|  OS                                                        |
>|   +------------------+      +---------------------+        |
>|   | GMPI Host A      |      |  GMPI Host B        |        |
>|   |                  |      |                     |        |
>|   +- - - - - - - - - +      +- - - - - - - - - - -+        |
>|   +- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -+        |
>|   |   GMPI 2-way communication plugin             |        |
>|   |                                               |        |
>|   +-----------------------------------------------+        |
>|                                                            |
>+------------------------------------------------------------+

this is nothing like what ReWire does.

ReWire requires that all plugins/clients/whatever run in the same
address space. Its basically a "higher level" plugin API than the
one's we're generally talking about here, but the model is the same -
load a DLL into a running program and execute various functions from
it at the right time(s).

The "protocol" as such is mediated by direct memory access (since
everything is in the same address space). In your diagram, Host A and
Host B would effectively be the same program.

A system like JACK allows true inter-process communication, and
suprise suprise, is currently being ported to CoreAudio, where Apple
themselves have not provided any such facilities.

--p