[gmpi] Re: Requirements

  • From: "Vincent Burel" <vincent.burel@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <gmpi@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 17 Nov 2003 22:38:45 +0100

----- Original Message -----
From: "Tim Hockin" <thockin@xxxxxxxxxx>
To: <gmpi@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Monday, November 17, 2003 6:22 PM
Subject: [gmpi] Re: Requirements

> On Mon, Nov 17, 2003 at 09:54:05PM +0100, Vincent Burel wrote:
> > > Where is the warranty that the user won't format c: or edit the
registry?

> > :-) funny, the difference here is that the user has no opportunity to
format
> > c: or go in the registry. In the GMPI installation process , the user
has
> > the opportunity to make a mystake because he is obliged to make the copy
>
> No one is obliged to copy the file, unless you don't provide an installer.
> If you don't trust others to not install over your dll, there is nothing
> that anyone can do to prevent it in ANY system.

yes but if you explain that the plug-in has to be installed NOT MANUALLY in
somethink like a "program file \ company name \ plug-in pack name"  folder ,
it decrease drastically the potentiality of this kind of mystake.

> > > Do you ship VST plugins?  You have this problem already.
> >
> > around hundred DLL in 7 years :-) yes at the beginning when i was
calling my

> I know.  I know your stuff.  VST already has this problem.  The simplest
> plugins out there are distributed as a zip of a .dll and a readme.txt.
You
> copy them into your VSTPlugins folder.  This problem exists today and is
NOT
> a significant source of pain.

Firstly i don't understand how you can be sure that "it's not a significant
source of pain" !?!? secondly i don't understand why you want to base the
GMPI installation process on an already existing method that you know this
can produce trouble ?!?!?!. madness here !? isn't it !?

If the goal is to make a crap of potential bugs and problem with GMPi , let
me know right now ! :-)

> > DLL.... because a day i'm sure that will get trouble with that again,
and
> > why not a funny competitor which will take exactely the same name as
your
> > DLL to replace your entire set of plug-in and explain to the client that
>
> So make subdirectories?  That's not too hard to figure out.  All we're
> saying is that the installation should be no more complicated than VST.

you are not understanding really the problem i'm affraid. i hope other will
understand and explain you. For me it's not possible (reliable and secure)
to authorize the regular user to install plug-in in folder manually.... and
it's not possible (a good method) also to list available plug-in by scanning
directories. All is wrong here.

VB