[gmpi] Re: Requirements

  • From: "Vincent Burel" <vincent.burel@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <gmpi@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 17 Nov 2003 21:54:05 +0100

----- Original Message -----
From: "Tim Hockin" <thockin@xxxxxxxxxx>
To: <gmpi@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Monday, November 17, 2003 5:42 PM
Subject: [gmpi] Re: Requirements

> On Mon, Nov 17, 2003 at 09:20:33PM +0100, Vincent Burel wrote:
> > the installer is not a problem for me, i've already mine, the problem is
> > still the potential trouble due to a bad organization and potential user
> > manipulations errors. Where is the warranty that any user will delete my
> > already installed plug-in during copying other DLL on mine or delete
mine by

> Where is the warranty that the user won't format c: or edit the registry?

:-) funny, the difference here is that the user has no opportunity to format
c: or go in the registry. In the GMPI installation process , the user has
the opportunity to make a mystake because he is obliged to make the copy
himself and can put it in the wrong folder. Also if it's an update, the user
will have to replace the good DLL otherwise there will be a problem
somewhere...

> > user will be authorized to modify this kind of folder !? and again
what's
> > happening if the station does not allow the user to manage file system
> > directely. The problem is more here.
>
> Do you ship VST plugins?  You have this problem already.

around hundred DLL in 7 years :-) yes at the beginning when i was calling my
DLL like "limiter.dll", "eq4.dll", "reverb.dll", "chorus.dll" etc... After
i've called my plug-in by "VB_ xxx" or "VB-xxx" or "VB:" but Steinberg came
with a plug-in called "VB-1" so i have to take care about the name of the
DLL.... because a day i'm sure that will get trouble with that again, and
why not a funny competitor which will take exactely the same name as your
DLL to replace your entire set of plug-in and explain to the client that
your plug-ins don't work anymore because these are bugged and are not
compatible with the new ones...

think to security , the actual GMPI installation process is not secure , for
no-one.
VB