[gmpi] Re: Requirements

  • From: Marc Poirier <marc@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: gmpi@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 11 Feb 2003 18:10:38 +0100 (CET)

> > > - Internal opaque state loading and saving.
> >
> > Personally I think that totally opaque is not so good.  I like
> > AU's=3D20 solution with a non-opaque XML settings structure with
> > standard keys and=3D20 values which can easily be extended to include
> > any personalized opaque or=3D =3D20
> > non-opaque data.
>
> I would prefer it plugins just used standard control types as far as=20
> possible, resorting to strings or raw data blocks only when nothing=20
> else makes sense.
>
> As to the XML part, that's a great idea for a standard preset file=20
> format (so all hosts can use the same presets), but IMHO, it's too=20
> high level and too complex for a real time plugin API.

I'm not sure I agree, but maybe that's just because I'm coming at this as
a Mac OS X user and there are all these super easy CoreFoundation methods
for handling XML data.  Isn't there something called GnuStep or something
like that which has a lot of similar stuff for other platforms?  I really
would prefer not to discount something like XML right from the start.
Settings compatibility and readability and upgradeability is very very
significant with music plugins.

> > >    - Communicates with the DSP part via the host, which is
> > >      an arbiter for concurrent access to parameters.
> >
> > I think that the OS would be a better arbiter.  This would allow
> > running=3D20 the GUI and DSP components in separate address spaces,
> > computers, etc.
>
> I'm not sure what you mean. These two sentences seem mutually=20
> exclusive in some way... ;-)

Nevermind, maybe I misunderstood something...

> Anyway, running GUIs in separate processes is *required* on some=20
> platforms, and being able to run them on other machines is really=20
> rather interesting as well. (Let's just say that Un*x users tend to=20
> consider anything that can't do that broken.)

:-)

Marc